Inadvertent smoking triggered fireplace in Oshawa condominium constructing

Careless smoking is believed to be the cause of a fire that destroyed a residential home in South Oshawa last weekend.

In a press release, the Oshawa Fire Department stated, “Careless smoking has been identified as a key factor in the cause of the fire that occurred shortly after 7:00 am on Saturday, July 3rd at 1420 Ritson Road South near Madawaska Drive in Oshawa broke out.”

The fire destroyed an apartment building, brought two people to the hospital and left more than 60 residents without a home.

In a statement, Oshawa Mayor Dan Carter said: “We are grateful that everyone is safe thanks to the heroic efforts of our members of the Oshawa Fire Department. Our thoughts and prayers go with those hospitalized and the families who have lost their homes. Our appreciation goes to everyone who worked hard to support them. “

Deputy Fire Chief Stephen Barkwell added, “The Oshawa Fire Department did an excellent job on a fire that could have turned out much worse. Fires caused by careless smoking are 100 percent preventable. If you or someone you live with smokes, we urge you to follow fire safety tips to prevent such a tragedy. ”

Barkwell noted that the units are not habitable.

According to the Ontario Fire Marshal’s Office, careless smoking is the leading cause of burn injuries and fire deaths and the fourth leading cause of preventable apartment fires in Ontario. As of 2017, smoking materials have caused 32 fires in Oshawa.

Comments are closed.