Oshawa Courthouse workers ordered to self-isolate after doable COVID-19 publicity

Some employees at the Durham Area Courthouse in Oshawa were ordered to self-isolate after it was confirmed that a person participating in a management-approved social function tested positive for COVID-19.

The person who tested positive after a December 3 gathering outside the courthouse was informed on December 10 that they may have contracted the Omicron variant of the virus, according to a letter signed by Durham Crown Attorney Greg O’Driscoll could.

The development resulted in a number of workers being ordered to be isolated and the Crown Office considering postponing some face-to-face court sessions on Monday, December 13, the final day of the isolation period, the Attorney General’s Provincial Ministry confirmed.

“The Durham Crown District Attorney’s office is reviewing all planned matters to determine which matters may need to be adjourned or practically continued until all parties are available,” said Department spokesman Brian Gray. “Matters that could not be continued virtually were postponed until December 14th to begin in person.”

The ministry did not make it clear how many people were affected by the isolation order or what areas of the courthouse they work.

Gray said O’Driscoll’s letter was in line with the department’s policy on disclosing possible exposure to COVID-19.

“To ensure transparency and reduce the risk of transmission, the (ministry) communicates confirmed cases through a memo issued by local management that complies with public health recommendations and health and safety regulations,” he said. “(The Ministry) also recognizes that members of external stakeholders (and) associations visit courthouses and buildings operated by the Ministry and that communicating likely or confirmed COVID-19 cases with these groups is critical to the To help members make informed health and safety decisions. “

Gray said business in the courthouse was expected to return to normal on Tuesday, December 14. Those identified as potentially exposed will need to undergo tests before being admitted to court.

After the December 3 rally, the infected person attended a sporting event on December 4 that was later identified as having more positive COVID-19 cases, according to the O’Driscoll memo. The person developed symptoms on December 5th, was tested the next day, and received confirmation of a positive test on December 7th.

The person isolated himself and was not physically present in the courthouse during the time he was contagious, the letter said.

“The person has not been in the courthouse for six weeks,” the December 11 letter said.

The confirmed infection resulted in an instruction that all those attending the December 3rd gathering should self-isolate for 10 days.

“As a result of the identification of Omicron and its potential for increased portability, the Durham Area Health Department has taken the utmost caution to ensure that anyone attending the December 3rd social event must self-isolate for ten days,” ends Monday evening , December 13th. This approach was taken despite the potential exposure at the December 4th sporting event which saw other confirmed cases, ”the letter reads.

O’Driscoll wrote that the regional health department is responsible for any follow-up follow-up if deemed necessary.

The letter does not indicate how many people attended the social event that led to the implementation of the measures.

Comments are closed.