TRIAL RECAP: Jury has heard proof of younger man’s violent demise throughout Oshawa homicide trial

Ahmed Buttu, pictured in an Instagram photo, was found dead on Feb. 27, 2019. Mohammad Khan is charged in relation to Buttu’s death.

  • Durham police's homicide unit in Oshawa where a man was found dead with obvious signs of trauma at a home on Langford Street.

Jurors involved in a murder trial in Oshawa have heard so far two weeks of evidence that paints a picture of the violent death of a young man, apparently assaulted in his own home on a snowy winter night.

Ahmed Buttu, 21, sustained more than 20 stab wounds and multiple blunt force injuries during the incident inside his home on Langford Street in Oshawa on the night of Feb. 27, 2019, court has heard. Jurors heard extensive testimony from a police blood spatter expert who found evidence of bloodshed in multiple locations on two floors of the house. The expert’s testimony was augmented by dozens of photos that showed blood spattered over walls, floors and furniture – evidence that prompted a defense lawyer to suggest the scene amounted to a “bloody mess.”

Mohammad Khan has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in Buttu’s death. The Crown alleges Mohammad, 18 at the time of the incident, killed Buttu during a struggle after entering the house intent on stealing cannabis.

Although Khan is denying the charge he faces, the defense has essentially conceded it was he who was involved in a confrontation with Buttu. Jurors have heard Buttu’s housemates returned to the house to find their friend on the floor in a pool of blood and an unknown intruder inside. That person fled the premises through a patio door, court heard.

Jurors have also heard evidence that Mohammad was confronted on a nearby street by a resident who suspected he was looking for cars to break into. Police arrived and arrested Mohammed.

Forensic testing later confirmed that Buttu’s blood was on the dark clothing Mohammad wore that night, as well as on a number of knives – some of them with the blades broken off – recovered from Mohammad’s car, which was parked nearby, court heard.

The trial was abruptly adjourned on Friday, June 3, when a juror reported feeling ill and was instructed to go into self-isolation under the court’s COVID-19 protocol. When court resumed Monday, June 6, it was revealed that two more jurors had fallen ill over the weekend.

The trial is suspended until at least Friday, June 10. Jurors have been told by Superior Court judge Jocelyn Speyer that the Crown is nearing completion of its case against Mohammad.

Prior to the adjournment jurors heard from Buttu’s younger brother, Wasseem Buttu, who tested he was acquainted with Mohammad. The accused man was aware that one of Ahmed Buttu’s housemates sold cannabis edibles, Wasseem tested.

Ahmed was not involved in the housemate’s cannabis business, Wasseem tested.

During cross-examination of the Crown’s expert witnesses, including police forensic officers and the pathologist who conducted an autopsy on Buttu’s body, defense lawyer Michael Moon has repeatedly pointed out that tests for gunshot residue were not conducted during the investigation.

Investigators who examined the scene have also tested they found no evidence of a gun having been fired inside the house.

When the trial resumes, jurors will learn if Mohammad intends to tender evidence in the trial – accused persons are under no obligation to do so – and if the accused man himself will take the witness stand to testify in his own defence.

Comments are closed.